The Chronicles of Tripping
I had a funny three days trip to get here in Chiang Mai from Luang Prabang.
The first two days were on a boat on the Mekong with the first night in Pak Beng and the second in Huay Xay; two villages for which the definition “forgotten by God” applies incredibly well, especially for the first one: one mole, one road and less than 20 buildings constructed on an hill just 30-40 meters over the river. Really a one-night-city, in travelers slang, but we had a nice evening with some guys from Germany and France (oh, you should have seen their faces when I said: “I’m from Italy”!!!!).
The third day was like:
1) wake up early in the morning
2) spend more than 2 hours to change some money (I strongly recommend to never, never, be without cash in northern Laos, especially on Sunday…)
3) cross the Mekong (check-out from Laos, and check-in in Thailand)
4) find a Tuk Tuk (more on Tuk Tuk here and here) to get to the Chiang Khong bus station
5) get on the bus for Chiang Rai
6) and on another bus for Chiang Mai
7) have a really good dinner at “Da Stefano“, recommended.
8) have an intensive shopping session at the Chiang Mai Sunday-night market.